$sk_template = get_post_meta( get_the_ID(), '_wp_page_template', true );
Physical Therapy Services for pregnancy and postpartum
Myths about the normalcy of pain during pregnancy are pervasive. In order to understand what we treat‚ it’s important to know:
- Back pain during pregnancy is not normal.
- Waddling during pregnancy is not normal.
- Urinary incontinence during pregnancy is not normal.
While these are all common‚ they are signs of musculoskeletal dysfunction. The good news is that physical therapists are experts in musculoskeletal dysfunction.
What We Can Treat
- Diastasis recti
- Back pain
- Hip pain/pelvic pain
- Sacroiliac dysfunction (commonly confused with low back pain)
- Pubic symphysis dysfunction (pain or instability at front of groin area)
- Numbness and tingling in arms or legs
- General aches and pains in muscular areas
- Headaches/neck pain
- Difficulty walking or having a severe waddling gait
- Balance issues/feeling like you are falling
- Urinary or fecal incontinence (difficulty controlling bowel or bladder in any way)
- Pain with sex or other pelvic pains
- Prolapse (when abdominal organs are pushing into the vaginal wall)
Depending on your specific concerns‚ this assessment will include some or all of the following:
- Posture analysis
- Gait (walking) and balance tests
- Range of motion of spine‚ arms‚ and legs
- Strength testing of multiple muscle groups
- Palpitation of affected areas
- Internal and/or external palpitation of pelvic floor muscles (assessing how well you can contract and relax the muscles you use for bowel and bladder control)
- Mobility assessments (watching how you perform daily tasks to assess possible contributors to the problem)
Treatment is determined by and specific to deficits found during your evaluation. In general, treatment is likely to include some or all of the following:
- Postural correction
- Therapeutic exercises and stretches
- Gentle joint mobilizations (applying gentle pressure to help a joint move properly)
- Myofascial release or soft tissue mobilization (different massage techniques)
- Gait training (instruction on how to walk properly)
- Education on body mechanics (how to perform your daily activities without aggravating your problem)
- Joint protection techniques (how to move so as to avoid furthering any joint pains)
For your convenience‚ your physical therapy evaluation and treatments will be held in the privacy and comfort of your home and at a time that works best for you. Your therapist will bring all of the necessary supplies; you will simply be asked to provide space in your home for the assessment. All of the details will be emailed to you prior to your initial evaluation. Dress comfortably and let your therapist take care of the rest!
Wellness Program for Pregnancy and Postpartum
We offer the following for women who have recently found out they are expecting and wish to be proactive in avoiding all of the above-mentioned diagnoses, or for those who wish, for any reason, to have a specialized professional guiding them through pregnancy.
This program is tailored specifically to the unique needs of each client. It includes an exercise and stretching routine, and so much more!
- Education on and training in an appropriate exercise program specific for your needs
- Instruction on when to decrease exercise intensity or stop exercising altogether
- Proper postural training for all daily activities to promote the growing belly
- Managing the increasing demands of your bladder with a specialized bathroom program
- Massage and relaxation techniques for stress reduction
- Training on the best baby holds for nursing‚ calming and changing
Please contact us with any questions you may have to see if the wellness program is right for you.